Jose Mourinho has confirmed that Manchester United will be without five first-team players for their trip to the stadium of light.
“Wayne Rooney is not available and Ashley Young is injured,” confirmed Mourinho, when speaking at his pre-match press conference in Manchester.
“no more news, because Mata, Smalling and Jones you already know that we are speaking about old injuries.”
Jose Mourinho has also been very disappointed with the efficiency of his strikers in-front of goal, claiming that Chicharito would have easily scored 20+ goals.
“We have some players that are not really in love with the ball, you know,” said the boss. “They are good players and they are creative players. They can create but, naturally, they are not the kind of guy that is a killer.”
“I give you a simple example: in the way we play at Old Trafford, in the way we dominate opponents, in the way we play in their box, I think Chicharito would have 20 goals easily, even coming from the bench for the last 10 or 20 minutes. He’d have 20 goals.”
“He’s a guy that, naturally, when the ball rebounds here or there, boom, goal. The goalkeeper saves, he goes there – tap-in, goal. A cross is coming, he anticipates at the first post – header, goal. And not even coming from the bench, we have this kind of player that scores 10 or 15 goals and gives you 10 or 15 more points. We play well most of the time – not always, obviously – we create but don’t score enough goals for the way we play.”
“I cannot buy a striker more experienced than Zlatan, right?” he replied. “We have Marcus, we believe in Marcus, that’s no doubt. Are we going to buy a striker? Maybe.
[pushpad-button subscribe=”Subscribe” unsubscribe=”Unsubscribe”]
“I think Zlatan’s number of goals is a good number for every striker. I think all the others, and I’m not just speaking about the strikers but the attacking players. The attacking player with freedom has to always reach a certain number of goals that, added between them, gives a lot of victories and points. No-one reached that target.
“One thing’s for sure, Marcus is having amazing experience on the pitch this season, playing in every competition – Europe, the Premier League, the cups, Wembley, finals. He’s having an amazing experience which, after the hurricane that he was last season when he arrived, it’s giving him a hell of an experience.
“He’s such a good boy and such a good professional, I think this is a fantastic learning experience for him. Even with not scoring goals, next season he will. Next season will be a good season for him.”
- Sunderland have lost 22 times against Manchester United in the Premier League – against no side have they suffered more Premier League defeats (also 22 against Chelsea).
- Manchester United haven’t won any of their last three games at the Stadium of Light in all competitions (D1 L2), this after an unbeaten run of 11 matches there.
- David Moyes will be the fifth different Sunderland manager to host Manchester United across the last five seasons (Martin O’Neill, Kevin Ball as caretaker, Gus Poyet and Sam Allardyce).
- Jermain Defoe has failed to score in his last six Premier League games against Manchester United, since netting against them for Spurs in March 2012.
- Sunderland are winless in their last six Premier League games on home soil, failing to score in the last four. They last went seven in a row without victory at home in January 2015.
- The Black Cats haven’t failed to score in five consecutive home league games since a run of six in May 1985 in the top-flight, where they were eventually relegated.
- Manchester United have won six and lost none of their last eight Premier League matches away from home; their longest unbeaten away run since August 2013 (13 games).
- The Red Devils have scored exactly three goals in each of their last two PL away games; they last scored three or more goals in three consecutive matches in November 2012.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored eight goals in his last seven Premier League matches away from home for Manchester United.
- Eight of Sunderland’s 14 Premier League goals at the Stadium of Light this season have been scored by Jermain Defoe (57%).
- Manchester United are currently on a 20-game unbeaten run in the Premier League (W10 D10 L0). Of the 16 occasions a team has gone on a 20+ unbeaten run in the competition, this is the run with the lowest points per game average (2.0) and win ratio (50%).